Self-care is so important and so often overlooked. Now, more than ever with what is going on in the world, some self-care and self-love is much needed. When was the last time you took some time out just for you?
As I write this, I have decided to do just that, and take some time out later today. I have brought it to my consciousness that I have not been looking after myself as well as I should be. My daily routine has gone by the wayside, my food choices have been far from healthy, and I have fallen into a non-stop work then parent and repeat routine…. sound familiar?
We tend to put ourselves to the bottom of the ’to do’ list as we prioritise family, friends, work, and life first. To be our best and to feel our best we need to be topped up – I am a firm believer that you cannot serve from an empty cup.
It is easy to overlook your own needs as a successful entrepreneur, juggling parenting, life, relationships and now we have the C word to content with too (I refuse to say it out loud!) If you are like me and you need to get back some work/life and self-care balance, this email is the sign you maybe did not know you needed.
I have put together a little toolkit for you to use as a checklist to make sure you are taking that much needed and important time for YOU:
* Each day take 5-30 minutes to do some guided meditation. Choose one that suits how you are feeling that day. Let your mind completely empty for this time and surrender to the empty space. Calm is a great App to use www.calm.com
* Take some time daily to note down your feelings in a journal. This can be as detailed as you want. From bullet points to long paragraphs, it’s totally up to you. Note down all the things you are grateful for – from that first morning coffee, to your family being safe and well and all that is in between. A grateful heart makes us appreciate the life we have, not the one we are chasing.
* Create some affirmations for yourself and start to say them as many times as you can each day. Leave little notes for yourself with them on – on your mirror, dashboard, inside your make up bag. Be as creative as you want with them, make them personal to you and remember you can add in ones as you need them.
* Get some movement each day. A short walk, yoga, a run, dancing – whatever you enjoy.
* Sleep is so important. Get into healthy sleep patterns and, if possible, follow the 8-hour golden rule of sleep. When you have some time out and if you feel like a nap… take one!
* Limit time on social media – so hard I know… but once you fall down that scroll hole it can lead to hours lost that could have been used more wisely, and can lead to all sorts of negative mindset triggers such as comparison syndrome.
* Long warm baths with delicious oils and soaks are a must. Take this time out to relax.
* Keep hydrated. It is so important to have at least 2 litres of water per day.
* Take some time every day to do something you enjoy. Read a book, listen to an inspiring podcast, do some crafting, play a game, put a face mask on, do your fake tan, call a friend… absolutely anything that makes you feel good.
* Set a digital curfew where your phone goes on aeroplane mode and your laptop is turned off. From this time until the next day you are digital free.
* And finally, my favourite. Book yourself a massage or other beauty treatment. Enjoy being spoilt and pampered!
Maybe you have some self-care things you already do that you want to add to this list? If you do, I would love to hear them. Let’s keep each other in check.
It is important to remember that the above does not have to be laborious – it can just be 10 minutes on days you are busy and on days you are not, you can spoil yourself and take as long as you want. Just make sure you get some YOU time in each day.
Love, light, and happy pampering!